Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Urban Decay Naked I v. Naked 2



If you are in the know about makeup brands, you have probably heard that the original Naked palette by Urban Decay was nearly impossible to get your hands on for several months last year. women went nuts for the sleek velour case and the range of colors in the all-neutral collection. In fact, every time I take it out of my kit and a client is unfamiliar with it, she always swoons.

I heard grumblings from my makeup artist friends that they were too shimmery, but when I finally got mine last fall, I was in love. The complexity of the shades was what won me over-these are not just boring browns. I think the reason there was so much hype over this product was the value ($230 if you bought everything separately; it retailed for $48), the gorgeous packaging, and the fact that the shades work on the vast majority of people. It also came with a really great eyeshadow brush and a mini primer potion, a shadow base that has quite the cult following.
I just recently purchased the Naked 2 palette (as soon as Sephora messaged me that it was in!) and this one comes with a fabulous double ended brush and a mini lipgloss that is my current favorite. The packaging once again is irresistable; in fact I like it better because the metal will hold up better than the flocked velvet stuff.
There are a few shades that are repeated from the first palette, but they have included more matte shades this time, and fewer intimidating-looking dark colors. I broke it in yesterday on a large wedding party and found it to be very versatile; the only times I had to stray from it was to reach for pops of my beloved purples. I always like a nude eye to have a bit of a surprise inside.
Bottom line is, I am not sure an average person "needs" both palettes...if you only wanted to buy one I would say get the first one if you prefer options to do a rather dramatic eye and the second one if you are tamer.

No comments: