Wednesday, January 25, 2012

BRIDEface makeup artistry/Go Red lips!



Anyone who follows BRIDEface/FACEing on facebook or my Pinterest knows that I have been a bit obsessed with red lipstick lately.

We are approaching Go Red month, which when we promote awareness of heart disease in women, a cause very near and dear to me. So there's that. And there's my lovely friend Amy of Cincy Chic, who had the brilliant idea to tie in red lipstick to the event.
When you talk about red lipstick, you open up a huge can of worms.

"I can't wear red lipstick; I feel like a clown."
"I'm just not a red lipstick person."
"I can't ever find the right shade."
Did you know that it is a proven fact that women who wear red lipstick smile more? I know I have a different attitude when I wear red, and people respond to me differently.
It's best not to overthink picking out a lipstick. Back when I worked at Saks for Mercier, there was a woman who we called Red Lipstick Lady. She came in almost every single week and tried on every red lipstick in the cosmetics department. You know that after you try a couple, your lips are just stained and it's useless to try any more, right? It's like trying on too many fragrances. Well, she'd never heed my advice on that, so she hardly ever bought one. And when she did, she'd always return it the very next day. Wonder if she's still searching for that Holy Grail of Red Lipstick-?

But I digress.

If you google "picking the perfect red lipstick" you will get hundreds of articles, all with conflicting advice. Most insist you have to wear a cool color if you are a fair skintone. Not necessarily true; I know a porcelain skinned brunette who absolutely rocks the brighty orangey reds. I take everything into account; haircolor, skin undertones, and eye color. The right orange-red can bring out gorgeous little flecks of gold in a brown eye, whereas a berry red can pop blue eyes tremendously. Sometimes it really comes down to good old trial and error. The right one will let you know.

Tuesday night i will be meeting with six prominent Cincinnati bloggers to help them get their own signature red lip. I can't wait to post their beautiful headshots here!

2 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Jealous! I'm totally that person who doesn't know how to wear red lipstick.

nanno said...

Awww i wish you could join us! I think you would rock an orange red like MAC Lady Danger.