Friday, February 26, 2010

The Importance of the canvas


We girls are obsessed with our eyes. "I want a smokey eye." "I want my eyes to pop.""I never ever wear lip color, but I love eyeliner." "I love a super dark eye." How can you make my eyes look more blue?"

Yet you see so many people skimp on perfecting their skin. Very few of us have a flawless complexion; eventually sun exposure, stress, lack of sleep, and breakouts have their way with our face. I have most certainly had a women sit in my chair and I quickly determine they don't need a stitch of foundation,but that doesn't mean Iam not going to sculpt their face with blush, highlighter, and bronzer. Very few women place the same importance on their face as they do on their eyes. They skip foundation entirely or slap it on haphazardly.

What skilled contouring and highlighting can do to accentuate your bone structure is amazing. Color correcting ruddiness and concealing acne work wonders.

A common question I receive is "If my bridesmaids just want you to do their eyes, how much is that?"

While I love to please the client, I can't help thinking that getting half the service is really shortchanging her. What point is a beautiful smoked out eye without a juicy cheek under it? Artfully applied makeup can round out a square jawline, carve out a cheekbone, thin or shorten a nose, and minimize lines. Why should the eyes get all the glory?
(image, steph carson)

1 comment:

Allison said...

I've seen a lot of diagrams telling me where to put which shade of shadow, but never one to tell me how to fix an unfortunate nose. Until I get a diagram for the rest of my face, I'll leave the foundation to you, Nancy. : )