Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Never say never...






Longtime readers may remember that I got on my soapbox about a year ago about why I prefer traditional foundation to airbrushing. Long story short, I invested a lot of time and money about two and a half years ago into purchasing equipment and product and traveling to NYC to take classes from a highly respected leader in the field. I ended up being very frustrated by the finish and feel of the makeup, even after trying three different brands.It looked artificial and flat and felt heavy and masky. I concluded that the fact that I have been a painter interfered with my ability to embrace the medium of airbrushing; it felt less like "artistry" to me, and more like, say, spray painting a chair. I missed the preciseness of painstakingly feathering over each flaw. (That combined with the fact that my machine was heavy, unwieldy to travel with, and sounded like a Harley)

Over the last several months I have been networking long distance with several successful makeup artists who convinced me to give it another go. I found a line called Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics that performs as if it were designed by my idol Laura Mercier. Which makes sense, because it was created by a makeup artist. (Their lip tars are so splendid that I want buy every last one of them.) Goes on sheer and weightless but covers like a dream. And my new little tiny machine, that straps around my waist, runs on a battery pack, and hums pleasantly-? Perfection.

So suffice to say I have changed my mind and am fully embracing this new discovery.
I am however still experimenting with this new medium and need guinea pigs, so if you got the time, I wanna beat yer face. Email me!
I have pulled the following from the OCC site for you detail geeks!

What are the advantages of airbrush makeup?

Though not a new technology, airbrush makeup is once again in the limelight due to the advent of evolving digital media, including Digital Photography and Hi-Definition Television. The precision application offered by airbrush makeup has two major benefits that stand up to the challenges presenting makeup artists today:

1. Full Coverage, Sheer Texture: A true airbrush foundation is high in coverage, but thin in texture, offering a high-opacity or full coverage application that's dispersed as sheerly and evenly as possible. The result is perfect-looking skin acheived with a minimum of product
2. Refined Pattern: The spray dot-pattern the airbrush puts down on the skin registers less on camera than the patterns and trace lines that brushes and sponges leave behind. However invisible these marks may appear to the naked eye, they can be quite noticable when your client's face is shown in Hi-Definition close-up or in a High Resolution Digital Photo.

While other advantages include speed of application, longevity, and durability, the true advantage of airbrush makeup is the beautiful finished result it produces.

1 comment:

Melaina25 said...

I'd totally let you practice on me if I was in the country, but I bet Alie would be game :)