Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ask Nancy: foundation recommendations



This question comes from Julie, via facebook:
I have a quick question, and I'm asking you because you know your stuff, and I trust you. I am in need of some good foundation. But my 42-year-old skin is hard to shop for. Are there any brands/lines that you recommend?
Plus I'm on a budget...;)
I need fuller coverage (wrinkles, pores, etc...all the things I've "earned" over the years, lol). And I'm both dry and oily! yay me!


In my opinion, foundation is the very last beauty product you should scrimp on. Drugstore foundations aren't even all that cheap anymore anyway, and you can't sample the shades or formula first.
A higher end foundation will have more pigment, which means you use less product, get better coverage, and don't look like you slathered it on.
My current favorite for your concerns is Laura Mercier creme smooth foundation. It comes in a glass jar and i like to apply it with a foundation brush. You only need a little. It won't make your oily parts look greasy or make your dry parts look flaky. It gives that youthful glow and the coverage is amazing. This is what I wear when I need to look my best.
Another favorite is Jane Iredale Dream Tint - SPF 15 Tinted Moisturizer (available at Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgery in Kenwood)It is a little less coverage so you could wear it on casual days.

No comments: