Friday, January 22, 2010

Using bronzer in the winter


















This request comes from Sherri via our Facebook fan page and is very timely for me. we all get in our little ruts, even makeup artists. I will go for months embracing my pasty pallor, then one day I'll clean out my bathroom and rediscover a forgotten gem.
I starting wearing a touch of bronzer last week and I have had a couple people ask me what I am doing differently; that my face looks "fresher". Bronzer can be a challenge, particularly for a fairer complexion. and there are definitely a lot of Bronzer Abusers out there. The goal is not to look swarthy or unwashed, or like you spent a couple weeks in Key West. The goal is to give the skin just a little warmth. Here are a few of my favorites.
No surprise; Laura Mercier. She has a very pale shade that you don't often find in other lines, and it is not the slightest bit orange. It has an extremely subtle shimmer as well. Cargo is very similar but perhaps has a bit more sheen; too much for me but if you like the J Lo glow it's perfect. Benefit Hoola is great too; just don't use the Barbie doll-sized brush that comes inside.

Now; application.

Bronzer requires a nice fluffy brush. Most brushes that are specifically for bronzer are squat and domed, but honestly a fluffy powder brush gives a more subtle application.

Apply to the highest points of the face that would normally be touched by the sun; the cheekbones, the bridge of the nose, the chin, and a touch to the forehead. Do this is natural light and blend like crazy; less is more!
Don't stop there! If you skip blush, bronzer alone can look flat and unnatural. Pop a somewhat bright blush (maybe a blue based orchidy pink or a clear coral) on the very apple of the cheek-just a touch. Brightens up your whole face. You can even add a luminizer (I love High Beam by Benefit) to the tops of your cheekbones. I promise your girlfriends will be thinking you've been naughty with that kinda glow going on.
All products available at Sephora.









No comments: