Thursday, June 7, 2007

Dad was right, you do get what you pay for.

Always a strange thing to talk about out loud, much like politics or religion, but I have to say there have been a lot of makeup artists cropping up that are specializing in weddings lately. Nothing like what photographers have to contend with, mind you-I was looking through a local magazine with my friend April of Bluebird Photography and there had to be five new photographers in there-!
Obviously there is a lot of work to go around, but it's an odd dynamic to have to look over your shoulder every now and then. One topic that comes up a lot when I am socializing with some of the most popular Cincinnati vendors is the "semi-professional" vendor who generally works with no contract and charges a fraction of the going rate in the city, apparently for the pure love of their craft. This is something that undermines what we do; professionals who carry insurance,regularly attend seminars and continuing education, invest in state of the art equipment, and pay for advertising and to maintain websites. And I do completely understand being on a budget, but I do caution brides who get into working relationships with people who have less experience and fewer credentials.
I had a mother of the bride burned by a hairstylist who "does weddings on the side"-this woman cancelled on them one month away and left them high and dry. There were no examples of her work to look at online and no contract. Another one of my brides had her photographer tell her he had decided to go out of town the weekend of her wedding-five weeks beforehand.
Don't even get me started on the florist nightmare stories I hear. I hear them all; I'm like the shrink. (I love it)
I also do get that vendors have to start somewhere and break into the business; that was me just three years ago. But I do not personally like to recommend vendors to brides who are intentionally lowballing the market-(if they're that inexpensive, what's wrong with them?)

The reason I was even ruminatiing on the topic is that I recently had to hire an attorney for the first time, and it seemed really straighforward and simple so I hired a lesser known, less pricey lawyer. Now with the case getting much stickier and mor stressful, I realize (too late) that I made an unwise choice,one that will cost me a lot of money in the long run.

So do be careful when you go for the "bargain" vendor-maybe they'll wake up one day and decide they are tired of only making money to cover their gas and hang it all up?Just be sure to do your homework; it breaks my heart to see people waste time and money.