Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Brush School Part I; what you really need

I have been doing a lot of one on one lessons lately and I always want to see my clents start investing in some good quality tools. People ask me all the time what brushes they need, what is good quality, what each brush is designed to do, and how to care for them. Today I will cover what specific brushes you need.
In my opinion, everyone needs a flat liner brush, to do the tight liner trick. If you don't know what I am talking about, set up an appointment with me, stat! This is Mercier:


The size and shape are really important in this brush; most square flat brushes are too wide and too rigid to do the wiggle into the lashline. This is the perfect width and is soft enought to deposit a lot of pigment. It is synthetic, which all you want to use with any type of wet product.

Next up, an eye crease brush. Most people don't know where to place a medium shde to give their eye more depth. Not everyone needs color in the crease-it depends on your eye shape-but the vast majority of us do. A foolproof shape for this technique is this bad boy (also Mercier)
The point goes in the socket of the eye and the "hoof" part contours the area above the fold. Magic. Also great for blending with the tip.

For fans of the smoky eye, you really need a smudge brush. I like to start with a cream or gel liner and work it right into the lashes with this. Gives lots of control and intensity.

As for face brushes, I do love to see people get into creme cheek color but that is probably another blog post entirely. For a powder blush, I am not a fan of a big round head-a lot of people are using a huge brush designed for powder as a cheek color brush. I prefer a small flat head that gives you more precise placement.

I see a powder brush as optional. Sure they are fun, and highly expensive, and soft. But I mush prefer to set powder with a puff. The only thing I will use a big powder brush for is to add a bit of pigmented powder for more coverage. If you are a mineral foundation fan, use a Kabuki type brush instead of a large powder brush, otherwise you are losing half your product all over the sink.


I really want to convert the world to using a concealer brush to put on their undereye concealer and to cover little blemishes. Mercier's secret camouflage brush is just the right consistency to feather a thicker concealer onto a blemish. It can also get right into the inner corner of your eye. Just try that with a big ol' finger! You will feel ever so artist-y.


Mercier has some really amazing sales on their website right now if you need to start out with some great brushes.



This has a finishing brush(good for adding a touch or shimmer along the cheekbone) an allover eye color brush, a crease brush (ponytail style)flat liner brush,corner detail brush, a briw spoolie and smudge brush for $56. What a deal.


Or this baby-A powder brush(normally $56 alone-!) an angled crease brush, a secret camouflage brush, and a corner eye brush for $31.50!! If I didn't have so many brushes I would be buying these right now! www.lauramercier.com
Those are just the basics for someone starting to build a collection of good tools. More to come!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, thank you for this post! It makes my brush shopping so much easier. Plus LM has free shipping today. Q for you- what do you know aobut the new Sally Hansen line by Carmindy. They have a primer for $10 and it would be so much easier run into the drugstore than to order Avon's primer.

Thanks! Jen G.

Kristen B. said...

I love my secret camouflage brush. What's the best way to clean these puppies?
Kristen