Monday, October 22, 2007

pre-wedding skincare

One of the questions I get most often from brides is what can they do to get their skin in the best possible shape for their Big Day?
Well, as many of you know, I am a huge fan of celebrity makeup artist Laura Mercier, and her work always stands out amongst others because she is obsessed with seeing skin, not a face completely spackled over in heavy foundation. She drilled it into me that any texture of makeup showing on the skin was to be avoided at all costs. I used to watch her feather secret camouflage over clients who had some rather severe skin conditions, and she would painstakingly make the flaw disappear, all without heavy coverage.
That said, the way to be a glowy and fresh faced bride is to start with the best skin possible. And I talk to a lot of women; I don't know anyone who is 100% satisfied with every aspect of their skin. They are either plagued with breakouts, hyperpigmentation (sunspots), dehydration, rosacea, excessive oiliness-you name it. Yet most of them have never ventured into getting facials. When I meet a client several months before their wedding and they have some stress about breakouts, I always encourage them to start a bit of a boot camp for their skin. (You're toning your arms for that strapless gown; better work on that face too.)
Glycolic peels have incredible results for skin that is prone to acne, sun damaged, or just a little on the dull side. Microdermabrasion is great for all those issues too and can also greatly improve scarring and other textural issues, such as fine lines.
A recent "graduate" of a round of 8 microderms alternated with glycolics got married a couple weeks ago and her skin was so luminous she looked like a moviestar.(Will post those pics soon; let me know what you think)
And it's much more affordable than you might imagine. We offer that package at my school for $180. You would pay $100 or more per service at a typical spa. (I apologize for the shameless plug but people freak out when they hear that)
Also fantastic are the basic facials and the machine facials. Before I started esthetics school, I adored getting facials. I found them every bit as relaxing as a massage (well, except for the extractions) I still am addicted to the facial massage portion and offer to be a guinea pig constantly.
I am there until about April, so call or email me for an appointment!
513 305 9723
nancy@brideface.com