Thursday, April 26, 2007

"there are no ugly women, just lazy ones"-Helena Rubenstein











I will often meet someone new, maybe at a party, or picking up my kids from preschool-and someone will ask what I do. When I tell them, there is one of three reactions:
"That's a job?"(they say this in a nicer way, usually)
"You deal with bridezillas every weekend?"
"I don't wear makeup; I just can't be bothered."
The latter is the one that gets me. It's like the people who will walk into the middle of a heated debate about Grey's Anatomy, and say,"Oh, TV? I never watch TV", like they're too busy saving the whales or learning new languages. I mean, would you meet a dentist at a dinner party and admit you never floss because you secretly believe it's a sham? Now if they say they don't wear makeup because they simply never learned to apply it properly; or they're in med school, have five children, and two full time jobs and are actually really too busy, okay. But to imply that makeup is somehow completely unnecessary is to say you've never seen the following:
I don't kid myself that I'm saving the world, just saving a portion of it from Bad Bridal makeup.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, and totally true! The youtube video shows that playing up someone's features with makeup is more important than totally distorting someone.

Katie P said...

That is positively scary but oddly comforting at the same time, to know that even models don't really look at good "raw".

Jen G said...

Oh noooo! I'm one of those "I never wear makeup" people! I thought I was going for the fresh-faced look, but those actresses look BAD with nothing on! Could I at least tweeze my eyebrows and find some concealer? Ugh, I AM lazy!!